*This position requires proof of vaccination against Covid 19*
How can we empower our communities to help care for their local parks and streams with a deeper understanding of watershed science and stream ecology?
The Montgomery Parks Stream Striders volunteer program is accepting Spring Applications! Stream Striders facilitate conservation projects that involve an educational component as well as a service component. Applications are open for adult volunteers interested in leadership, watershed education, & community engagement at their local stream valley parks.
How do I become a Stream Strider?
1. Read the program qualifications & requirements
2. Click "apply"
3. Create an account & fill out application (have you vax card ready)
4. We will contact you for a brief interview
5. Complete a 2-part training
STREAM STRIDER WATERSHEDS:
Muddy Branch (0)
Northwest Branch-Anacostia (1)
Rock Creek (1)
Paint Branch & Little Paint Branch (0)
Seneca Creek (1)
Sligo Creek (2)
Long Branch (1)
(the numbers indicate spaces available)
- Must be 18 years+
- Complete a background check with Montgomery Parks
- Follow park protocols and safety measures
- Ability to work with a variety of groups in a leadership position
- Ability to present information or willing to learn!
- Able to walk outdoors for up to 3 hours in a variety of trail surfaces and weather conditions (not including severe weather)
- Must be comfortable accessing areas off trail & in streams
- 4 months/seasonal
- Minimum of 4 hrs/month (one project/month)
- Weekends and some weekdays, scheduling is flexible!
- Strong resume builder, long-term opportunity if you continue in the spring
- Access to stream/nature workshops happening in our parks
- Earn service credit toward your program/course (verification letters available)
- Volunteer on a flexible schedule
Background check required: Yes
Minimum age of volunteers: 18
Volunteer Type: Adult, Family, Senior (55+), Intern
Job Type: Seasonal (2-6 months)