The Agricultural History Farm Park (AHFP) is seeking those with a love of history to share their time and talents in telling the story of Montgomery County's rich agricultural and cultural heritage!
Greeter/Docents will help visitors connect to the history of the Farm by assisting with:
- Greeting visitors.
- Managing farmhouse capacity flow during guided group tours.
- Giving tours to individual weekend visitors; including the farmhouse and outbuildings.
- Interpreting general Montgomery County history, Maryland's African-American history, general farm history and historic farming from the colonial era through the 1940's.
- Setting up, assisting with, and breaking down special events for students, adults and families.
- Inventorying household items periodically
Greeter/Docents should be enthusiastic and willing to learn about local Maryland history and about the families that lived and worked at and around the farm. They should also have a general working knowledge of American History, open to visitor engagement and actively involved with museum house programs.
Docents schedules are:
- Saturdays - 11am to 3pm
- Sundays (occasionally) - Noon to 3pm
This position requires public speaking, long periods of standing, sitting, walking, and working in a variety of weather conditions.
Training and supervision will be provided by the Museum Educator.
Background check required: Yes
Minimum age of volunteers: 16
Volunteer Type: Adult, Senior (55+), Student Service Learning, Intern
Job Type: Long-term (6 months+)